Our mission is to nurture a working environment in which personal interests and ideas can flourish. This defines our company culture, bringing together talented people who enjoy new challenges and share a genuine curiosity about the projects we work on. Our third-floor studio overlooks Hoxton Square in Shoreditch, the heart of London’s vibrant creative and tech industries.
What we look for
Our projects utilise a broad range of creative, editorial, technical and client management roles, from designers, data analysts and developers to producers and project managers. While industry skills are very important to us, we’re equally interested in who you are, your aspirations, and what you’re capable of.
If you’re good at what you do, relish steep learning curves and aren’t afraid to tackle complex topics head on, we’d love to hear from you.
We are looking for an experienced, confident and versatile designer to support and guide the creative success of multiple projects, helping us build on our reputation for design excellence. Working with our internal design and development teams and supporting the Creative Director and Senior Producer we are looking for someone who can deliver thought provoking solutions to creative problems, maintain rigorous attention to detail and contribute to every aspect of a project, from research and concepting to final delivery.
- Support and oversee multiple projects throughout entire execution effectively and efficiently
- Support the Creative Director and Senior Producer to ensure projects are delivered to high standards of design excellence and client satisfaction
- Take responsibility and ownership of assigned projects to maintain and ensure high levels of creativity and consistency.
- Apply a rigorous eye for detail with an appreciation for type, layout and pixel perfect delivery.
- Collaborate closely with internal teams, project stakeholders and clients
- Identify complex problems and develop solutions
- Guide our internal design team and work with the internal development team on multiple projects
- Become an important member of the team, being involved in all aspects of both projects and studio culture
- Significant creative experience in predominantly digital agencies or studios
- An organised, methodical approach with the ability to think strategically about the needs of the project, client and audience.
- Proven record of leading design teams and handling multiple projects from concept to delivery.
- Strong understanding of UX and UI practices and user centred design, including user stories, user flows and wireframing.
- Confident in problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
Experienced UX/UI Designer
We are engaged in a continuous rollout of multiple UI products for a large B2B client and looking for a short to medium term freelance UX/UI designer to take on and run with the UX design and implementation of one of these products over the next 4-6 weeks, possibly longer. Working closely with our Senior Producer, Creative Director and design team we require an experienced ‘nuts and bolts’ UXer with a strong understanding of user journeys, stories and flows and thorough wireframing skills to help deliver the product.
While our initial need is for short term support the ongoing nature of the client relationship means there may well be longer term opportunities.
- Facilitate the client’s product vision by researching, conceiving, sketching, prototyping and user testing experiences for digital products
- Translate concepts into user flows, wireframes, mockups and prototypes that lead to intuitive user experiences
- Design and deliver wireframes, user stories, user journeys and mockups optimized for a wide range of devices and interfaces.
- Identify design problems and devises elegant solutions
- Make strategic design and user experience decisions related to core functions and features
- Take a user centred design approach and rapidly test and iterate your designs
- Become an important member of the team, supporting and working with the design and development teams
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Proven experience in product UI and enterprise software UX Expertise in standard UX software
- Extensive experience in using UX design best practices to design solutions
- Ability to work with clients and stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and design complete user experiences that meet client needs
- A solid grasp of user centred design, planning, prototyping, user testing, A/B testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, usability and accessibility concerns
- Ability to iterate designs efficiently and intelligently
- A clear understanding of the importance of user centred design and design thinking
- Ability to effectively communicate design processes, ideas and solutions to teams and clients
- Be excited about collaborating and communicating closely with teams and other stakeholders
If you think you fit the bill and are interested please get in touch!
At Applied Works, we design digital tools and products that are both challenging and rewarding to work on. Our projects often begin with deep research, data analysis and prototyping, placing development at the heart of a highly collaborative design process, from the initial phases of a project through to final delivery. We pride ourselves in delivering the highest standards in production code, to create compelling user interfaces that work seamlessly on any device.
We’re looking for freelance and permanent developers to join our growing team, with opportunities to take ownership of project builds from beginning to end. Candidates must be good problem solvers, and have a keen attention to detail in both the functional requirements and design finesse of projects. Successful applicants will be:
- Confident building responsive CSS layouts and user interfaces
- Able (and keen) to quickly adapt to new technologies and problem domains
- Familiar with server-side application development and SQL databases
- Able to think clearly about application structure and its affect on maintenance and performance
Positions available immediately and on an ongoing basis.
Our client is embarking on a complete rebuild of the Web UI for one of their key products, implementing a completely revamped front end with all new UX and design. We’re looking for an experienced React/Redux developer to join our team and help our client build a rock solid front end architecture, leveraging the latest technologies and best practices to create a product that will stand the test of time.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with React & Redux, and understand the fundamentals and best practices of modern, component based web development. They will be able to think about application architecture and how it delivers performance, as well as a manageable, intuitive code base. They will also have a keen eye for detail and a passion for delivering pixel perfect, performant web UIs. They will also know how (and when) to write tests.
Other skills that would be beneficial (but not mandatory) include:
- Typescript (or Flow)
- Redux Saga’s
- Styled Components
The position is available immediately and will extend up to 12 months in length.
We run internship programmes with students and graduates throughout the year and are always happy to hear from people looking to gain industry experience. We also have links with some of the best universities in the UK including Kingston, Winchester and Central Saint Martins. If you’re a course tutor and would like to discuss a talk, workshop, industry brief or studio visit please visit our contact page. If you’re a student interested in an internship with us please apply below.